We are always confused about whether to take a bath with hot water or opt for cold water to bath? Is not it! How do we decide which one is better for us?
Water for Bath
Well dears, since the choice is subjective, before coming to any conclusion, we need to consider factors like the ongoing season, your age, habits, age-old practices, disease, etc. Bathing in hot water or cold water both have their own benefits. Read on for more details with comments.
Benefits Of A Cold Water Bath
- A cold water bath tends to stimulate the nerve endings and gives you a kick start in the morning. It also helps in getting rid of laziness.
- Coldwater baths increase the release of depression-beating chemicals such as beta-endorphins, and thus help you treat depression.
- Studieshave shown that a cold water bath improves the reproductive health in men by stimulating the release of testosterone.
- Italso helps in improving the lung function.
- Coldwater baths stimulate the lymphatic and immune systems of the body, thereby boosting the production of cells that fight against infections.
Benefits Of A Hot Water Bath
- As we all know, warmer temperatures tend to kill the germs more. Hence, bathing with hot water cleanses the body.
- Studies show that a hot water bath improves the flexibility of muscles and also helps relax sore muscles.
- A hot water bath reduces the sugar levels in the body, making your body less prone to diabetes.
- It is also beneficial to treat a cough and cold as the steam helps to clear the airways and decongest your throat and nose.
When it Needs Cold And Hot Water Baths
Is it better to shower with cold or hot water? Ayurveda has got an answer for you. Ayurveda suggests that you must use hot water for the body and cold water for the head since washing your eyes and hair with hot water is not good for your health. Ayurveda suggests that the temperature of water must be based on the following factors:
1. Based On Age
For youngsters, it is suggested to bathe with cold water. For old people and youngsters, it is suggested to bathe with hot water. But if you’re a student and dedicated to spend more towards studies, bathing with cold water will be beneficial for you.
2. Based On The Body Type
If your body type is Pitta, it is better that you use cold water to take a bath, and if your body type is Kapha or Vata, use hot water.
3. Based On Diseases
If you’re suffering from any Pitta related disease, such as indigestion or liver disorders, a cold water bath will be very beneficial for your health. And if you’re suffering from Kapha or Vata related disorders, then a hot water bath is preferred.
If you’re an epilepsy patient, both hot water and cold water bath are not recommended. Instead, take a bath with lukewarm water.
4. Based On Your Habits
If you work out regularly, a hot water bath is suggested.
5. Based On What Time You Bath
If you bathe in the morning, it is good to bathe with cold water. But if you’re bathing at night, taking a hot water bath will help you feel relaxed. Since evening time is dominated by Vata, bathing with hot water will be beneficial.
How To Bath According To Ayurveda
According to Ayurveda, “A hurried bath is similar to hurried food, and your body does not reap all the benefits and get cleaned properly if you rush bathing.” To gain freshness, a good bathing experience is a must.
You should follow the process slowly so that every part of your body is exposed properly to water. Here’s how you should bathe:
- Start off by washing your hands and feet.
- If you’re bathing with cold water, your approach should be from the head to the toe.
- And if you’re bathing with hot water, start by washing your toes first and then move upwards to the head.
- When it comes to soap, avoid chemically-loaded soaps available in the market as the skin absorbs all the chemicals from the soaps.
- Indulging in a good oil massage with mustard oil or sesame oil before a bath is said to be beneficial for your body. It revitalizes the muscles and improves the texture of the skin.
- Though you must not rush while bathing, doing it for too long is also not suggested. Also, for better hygiene, bathing twice a day is enough.
- You can add a few neem leaves in water and leave it for some time. Then, take a bath with this water. It will improve the health of your skin.
This is all about cold shower vs hot shower. We hope that all your doubts have been cleared, and you’re now sure about which water to choose to bathe. In case of any queries, please comment me.